Sunday, April 06, 2008

General Conference Thoughts

So it is Sunday night after general conference. I watched a total of 10 hrs between yesterday and today consisting talks and singing. As usual I have been spiritually uplifted. Tons and tons of information, suggestions, list, how-to's, and commandments. I was trying to explain to Aubrey today that I would be better off just with one session of general conference and then at least I would be able to remember what was spoken about and try to apply it to my life. With 4 sessions and the priesthood session I sometimes feel overwhelmed. Although there is a simple solution as presented in our elders quorum a few weeks ago;

Added weight in the right area will give us balance and stability. Let me try to explain. At the beginning of the class a paper airplane was folded and the teacher asked for a volunteer to try and fly the plane. When the volunteer tried to throw the airplane it did not take flight, it just flopped to the ground. The teacher then produce a paper clip which he then added to the front of the airplane. Once again the volunteer put the airplane in flight and it flew all the way across the room. This was used as an example of positioning weight in the correct area to give us balance. It took someone with the knowledge (a Boeing engineer) to properly place the weight, anyone else might have thought that adding weight would have only added to the problem of the airplane not being able to fly. We then discussed a conference talk from the October general conference that gave 8 or 10 things that we could do bring balance to our lives. Just as the airplane, this list of 10 things could be perceived as added weight or as weight in the right area so that we can receive balance and stability in our lives.

As I watched general conference this weekend I could not help but think about that lessons from Elders Quorum. As our Prophet and the Apostles continued to added "things to do" to our list I knew that I needed to view them as added weight in the right areas of my life and not run screaming with my hands in the air giving up. I pray that I will do those things that I have been taught to do this weekend and I know that I will receive added balance and stability in my life.

2 comments:

aubreyannie said...

i love you. you are a good example to me in your diligence in keeping the commandments. thank you for loving me.

Anonymous said...

great thoughts!