It's been much too long since I last was in church,
And may God forgive how selfishly search.
Trying to find excitement and fun,
And turning my back on all that He's done.
The ways of the world seem to be my delight.
I live in the dark, I shut out the light.
To all that is right, I quickly rebel,
Knowing this life leads only to hell.
It seems nothing matters but doing what's wrong,
To put Satan first, to sing loud his song.
I know there is something deep within,
Letting me know, I can never win.
There's one thing I know I will do,
For I do believe God's love is true.
My daughter, I swear, will so live for him.
His light in her life will never grow dim.
To know in my heart she's held in his heads.
I must make her life a part in his plans.
As long as she's young this promise I give,
She'll always know God, and for Him to live.
Written By: Edith Hoag Drake, 1964
Edith Drake was one of my employees, the on-site manager for Riverside West Apartments in South Seattle. I will never be able to replace her. I was privileged to know her here on earth. I attended her memorial service last Wednesday where her poem was read. From deep despair of her past she not only lived for Him for her daughter's sake but she also was an instrument in His hands for countless people. I am humbled and have an admiration for Edith that words do not express. Person after person stood at Edith's memorial service and thanked her family and God for putting her in their path. Numerous times did I hear "I would have been homeless if it were not for Edith." She gave everyone a second chance when they needed it. No matter what their past she would say, "prove it", she would always explain that "Words could tell you anything but until you prove it with actions I will not believe you." Edith knew that God had placed people in her path and she would do everything in her power to help them. Like a scene straight out of a movie, the mailman stood and spoke and expressed a thought that everyone there agreed with; "Anyone that ever crossed Edith path is a better person." She will be missed.
Monday, April 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
what a great woman. i'm glad you were able to attend her funeral last week. ..and i hope people will say that about me at my funeral.
if only there were more people like her in the world...we would all be so much more happier and forgiving of others faults and mistakes...lucky you to have worked with her.
Post a Comment